skip to main content skip to footer

Our Story

The Early American Tavern was built in 1843 by Gabriel Coykendahl. It was originally known as "Frank U. Dixon's Union House." In 1904, it was sold and subsequently renamed “The Sussex Inn.”

vintage photo of the early american tavern
exterior shot of the building with old cars in front

During the Civil War, the Union House was used as a recruiting station for Union Soldiers. This historic building has seen lots of famous faces, including Garret A Hobart (William McKinley's first Vice President).